Dragon Ball Super Episode 4 Review


Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!




* Contains Spoilers *


Let me go ahead and say this outright. This was by far the worst episode of Dragon Ball Super thus far. The biggest event of this episode was Emperor Pilaf showing up and getting to have some dinner, so don't expect anything of substance this episode. At the start of the episode, we see that King Kai is basically in a huge panic over the fact that Beerus is on his way to his planet. I found it very interesting to see King Kai overly frightened because he is well aware of the power that Goku possesses, yet he still is urging Goku to just instant transmit to Bulma's birthday party out of fear. Beerus must be quite a being. During the episode, King Kai does finally spill the beans to Goku and tries his best to explain to Goku that Beerus is completely unpredictable and that they should not meet in combat. He explains that Beerus is not a bad guy but is a necessary balance to the order of the universe. While the Kais uphold order, there has to be an opposing force representing chaos. Lord Beerus is that opposing force. He is a god of destruction. The more I hear about this guy the more I want to see him face off against Goku. I've seen the Battle of the Gods movie and I'm ready to see if and how that match is altered. There was some trademark Dragon Ball humor during these bits and I always enjoy that. Goku had one line in particular that made me laugh pretty loudly.



Outside of the short King Kai segments, the bulk of the story this episode focused on reintroducing a couple of familiar faces back into the mix. Emperor Pilaf, Shu, and Mai have fallen on extremely hard times and are now hunting for the Dragon Balls just to wish for a good meal. I have never been a fan of Pilaf and his gang so I chuckled at the fact that his goals have fallen so far. His quest for the Dragon Balls has brought him to the Princess Bulma cruise ship and it looks like he is here to stay. Much to my dismay. I think that this episode devoted far too much time to Pilaf trying to get aboard the ship. We got a little bit of a side story with Goten and Trunks as they broke into Bulma's prize vault to take a peek at the bingo prizes, which are some pretty lucrative gifts. Later on, this tied into the Pilaf story and we got some nice character moments that showed some caring attitudes from both Goten and Trunks. I love those little guys.


This episode was mostly a drag and didn't really move the story forward much. We did find out some nice information about Lord Beerus and at the end of the episode, he finally arrived on King Kai's planet, so the next episode is looking to be one to remember. I can't leave out the fact that they advertised a Super Saiyan 3 transformation during the preview for the next episode. That is my favorite version of Goku so I am super excited to see what is next. The best thing that this episode had to offer was a large dose of Dragon Ball humor, so at least I got a few good laughs. The birthday party banter and seeing all of these iconic characters together was wonderful, but it's not exactly what I'm tuning in for. After all the introductions were finished up in episode three, I thought that this episode would have a bit more substance to it, but all I got was Pilaf. Bring on episode four and SS3 Goku, please!



Final Score: 2/5 Dragon Balls














Dragon Ball Super Episode 4 Review Dragon Ball Super Episode 4 Review Reviewed by ThatNerdGuy0627 on February 08, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.